Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
Take time to prepare for fall with this helpful checklist:
- Inspect your furnace or heat pump to ensure that it can achieve maximum efficiency.
- Schedule to have the chimney serviced and cleaned.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts throughout the season.
- Repair any window cracks or holes in weather stripping or caulking. If the gap is bigger than the width of a nickel, reapply exterior caulk.
- Check to make sure your thermostat works properly.
- Check crawlspace for flooding after the first long rainfall.
- Make sure you have new batteries in all flashlights and place them where they can be easily found around the house.
- Have your lawn-irrigation system professionally drained and winterized.
- Turn your gas fireplace pilot light ON.
- Make sure your attic and crawlspaces have adequate insulation.
- Continually check your air vents to make sure they aren’t blocked.
- Clean out the bathroom fan/filter.
- Test all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Make sure you have at least one fire extinguisher on each floor of the house and in the garage.
- Make a fire escape plan for your house and take time to review it with all family members.
- Disconnect garden hoses and drain water still in faucets. If you do not have frost-proof faucets, turn the shut-off valve to off inside your home.