New House This Year? Keep it Warm Efficiently.
Are you in a new house this Winter? Are you asking yourself how much will heating cost? Do you have a fireplace or wood stove? Maybe you are new to the Puyallup area and you aren’t sure if you are going to need to use your fireplace to heat your home. There are several things that you can do in your home to make sure that you are efficiently heating your home and not the whole neighborhood.
- Lower the Thermostat 3-5 degrees and turning it off when no one is home can lower heating costs as much as 30%. A programmable thermostat is great for this because you can set up your heating plan and then you don’t need to think about it every day.
- Check the weather stripping around doors and windows. Even very small openings can allow enough heat to escape to make a difference in the expense.
- Check the insulation in the attic and basement. Heat can escape through your basement and attic spaces if not properly insulated.
- Check your furnace filters and replace if necessary.
- If you have a fireplace make sure the damper is closed and seals properly when you are not using it.
Learning your new home is fun. If you follow these easy maintenance tips you will be warm and cozy during the winter.